Pet Vaccinations in Richmond, TX
Pet vaccinations help keep pets safe in Richmond, TX. At Brazos Bend Animal Hospital in Richmond, we strongly encourage pet owners in our community to vaccinate their pets. We provide this service to pets of all ages. Pets who stay up to date on their shots often live longer and healthier lives, and are less likely to spread illnesses to other pets.
Why Pet Vaccinations are Important
Pets benefit from vaccinations for many reasons, including:
- Protection. Vaccinations protect pets from common illnesses and life-threatening diseases. In this way, pets who stay up to date on their vaccinations can have better quality of life into old age.
- Public safety. Vaccinations stop the spread of deadly illnesses, like rabies. In fact, the rabies vaccine protects more than the animal population: these vaccines also protect the human population.
Vaccinations and Pet Safety
Many pet owners worry about the safety of their pets when they are given vaccines. Some pet owners have concerns that the vaccines will weaken the pet’s immune system and possibly infect the pet with the very diseases that they are being vaccinated against.
The truth is that the risk to pets who are being vaccinated is comparatively small. Some pets will experience negative side effects from vaccines, but these side effects are generally minor. Some common side effects include:
- Pain and tenderness at the site of injection
- Mild fever
- Cold or flu-like symptoms
- Swelling at the vaccination site
- Decreased appetite
In some very rare cases, pets will experience more severe side effects like diarrhea, difficulty breathing and vomiting. Pet owners are instructed to contact the veterinarian if their pet experiences severe side effects.
The risks of adverse side effects may be small, but the risk to pets who are not vaccinated can be great. Pets who don’t get vaccinated can live shorter lives and die of deadly diseases. At Brazos Bend Animal Hospital, we help pet owners live longer lives by vaccinating our patients.
Services Provided By Brazos Bend Animal Hospital
We provide two different types of vaccines: core, and non-core. Core vaccines are standard vaccines given to all pets. Non-core vaccines are only given to pets who are at risk for certain diseases. We help pet owners decide which non-core vaccines are right for their pet, to help maximize pet immunity. Typical pet vaccinations that we administer include:
- Dog core vaccines – distemper, canine parvovirus, rabies, canine hepatitis
- Dog non-core vaccines – Borrelia burgdorferi, bordetella bronchiseptica, leptospira bacteria, and dog flu
- Cat core vaccines – Feline panleukopenia, rabies, feline rhinotracheitis and feline calicivirus
- Cat non-core vaccines – Feline leukemia
Contact Your Veterinarian in Richmond TX Today
We want to keep all our pet patients as healthy as possible, and we know you want the same for your animal companion. For more information about pet vaccines, or for dog shots and cat shots in Richmond, contact us today at (281) 342-1117.